Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bis'cuts n' gravy



I'm not a breakfast guy. I'm lucky if I can eat a piece of toast in the morning. Usually a cup of coffee will keep me going till lunch. Every once in a while however I can go for a greasy, carb heavy breakfast and one dish that I'm always drawn to is biscuits with sausage gravy.
This is my first time making this dish, it's pretty simple but can be messed up easily if not done right.

Biscuits (think Cliff originally gave me this recipe)
2 c. unbleached flour, plus more for dusting
3 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
(or just using self-rising flour)
1 1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients in bowl until forms a ball. Turn dough out and knead. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and using a 3 inch biscuit cutter, cut out dough. Line one inch apart on a greased baking tray. Cook 10-13 minutes in preheated 500 degree oven or until golden brown

Sausage Gravy
3/4 lbs. of sausage (the fattier the better. Don't use Italian sausage, it's too lean)
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
Fresh ground pepper
Cook sausage in large skillet until browned. Remove from pan leaving fat rendering. Add flour one tbsp. at a time whisking constantly until well mixed. Add milk and bring gravy to boil. Lower heat and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir back in the sausage and add pepper.
Pour gravy over biscuits.

I worked with a couple of recipes to get this one. I still don't have the flour to milk ratio down right but just add milk if it gets too thick.

No comments:

Contributors