Tuesday, October 7, 2008

FAT Darrel


So every fall the family goes to New Brunswick, New Jersey so the kid can go to a mass transit model train show. This was the first year my boy brought his own “layout” to display and he was rather excited.

So what does that have to do with a sandwich, and a large guy named Darrel? Well, the train show is set up inside an old gym at Rutgers University. Which happens to down the street from a greasy food stand called RU Hungry. It is at that stand for which you can get the sandwich called the Fat Darrel. And what wrong headed goodness the Fat Darrel is. Now, apparently, the Fat Darrel was “invented” by a Rutgers student who was trying to find an economical way to eat all the foods he loved, craved perhaps, in one package. Thus was born the Fat Darrel. I’m sure you have noticed that what is actually in the Fat Darrel has yet to be described. That is because the ingredients are somewhat embarrassing, if only because I have actually eaten this thing. Twice. And yes lived to tell about it. Although I’m sure in some way it has taken at least some time off my life, I’m hoping in some Karmic way, because of what could be described a spiritual eating experience, the damage has elevated by some degree. I suppose it could be described that way, if only for my mental well being, for as you are eating this thing, the Fat Darrel, you are assuming some risk to heart and body and I’m sure I sent shivers of worry through my wife, as I have just, not weeks before, spent hours in the ER complaining of heart related symptoms. I’m not talking the Karmic or spiritual high I’ve gotten from a really great plate of ribs in Memphis (Cozy Corner), or just a great meal prepared by a friend or a dumbly expensive dinner at a first rate restaurant. No not that. Maybe more of the feeling you get when you score the winning touchdown during a game in your backyard when you were 14. In the bigger scheme of things, not such a big deal, but still damn important.

It really shouldn’t taste this good. It is honestly just crap in a roll. But you know, crap hasn’t ever tasted so good together.

A roll, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, french fries and tomato sauce. Some kind of heaven I say, although it’s probably the part that is pretty close to hell.

1 comment:

cfh said...

And for the second year in a row I hear about this from Preston and want to try it, just to see if it is actually as good as he says, and well yeah, to experience it to...

Contributors