Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Get Your Twink On


What’s better than fried food you ask? Well fried food at the fair of course! While in Minnesota for the RNC, for work, trust me, not anything Republican related, a bunch of co-workers took advantage of the hurricane reduced workload to hit the famous Minnesota State fair. Famous for what? Well I’m sure for many things, but fried junk on a stick seems to be right up there. I had the pleasure of indulging in something I had always heard about, always imagined I would never partake in, but ultimately was inclined to indulged in. Much to the chagrin of my stomach and arteries. Yes, the infamous deep fried Twinkie, and yes on a stick. To sounds of “Get your Twink on!” from the vender I ordered my delicacy, with powered sugar and choice of a topping no less. Now, I grew up in the late 70s when a trip to the corner store on my bike to get a pack of Twinkies and a Dr. Pepper, (when Dr. Pepper was owned by Canadian Club and was much better), was a highlight of my day. So I have consumed many a golden sponge cake, filled with white stuff that they call cream, a mouth full of heaven. (Although not so much in the past 20 years or so and I’d kill my kid if he ate one, which he wouldn’t because he’s grown up on chocolate croissants and wouldn’t lower himself to packaged junk food.)

I stood gazing at my fried wonder, attached somewhat mournfully to a stick through its innards, powdered and chocolate drizzled, wondering what the hell I was doing. Ah, but one bit and I realized what all the fuss was about. A warm, crunchy outer coating, the white stuff reduced to a near liquid, infusing itself into the golden outer cake. Just amazing. Was it food? Yeah, I guess. Was it a culinary highlight? I guess that depends on your definition. Would I eat one again? I’m not sure my body would be able to take another hit like that, but I sure the hell would be tempted.

And btw, thanks to Justin for being so obsessed with finding Famous Dave’s place, next time you’re at the fair, look for it and get yourself some chocolate dipped bacon.

No comments:

Contributors